Men’s basketball gets coveted national TV exposure

Joe McDonald and the Colonials fell hard to VCU last season, but will take on the Rams again in January on CBS Sports Network. Hatchet File Photo

Half of the men’s basketball team’s Atlantic 10 games this year will get picked up for national television – a result of the conference’s new TV deal that now includes NBC.

The release of the A-10 schedule also shows GW getting thrown into the gauntlet early, with January games against last year’s Sweet 16 team La Salle and juggernauts VCU and George Mason.

Seven of the Colonials’ games will be televised on NBC Sports Network, with the remaining one to be shown on the CBS Sports Network. The men’s team also will play this November in the Wooden Legacy on the ESPN networks, bringing the total number of nationally televised games for the 2013-14 campaign to 11.

The move to more national television games also shows the benefits of the A-10’s eight-year media partnership that was was signed last year.

“It’s an exciting day to be a fan of GW men’s basketball, but also a proud day to be a member of the Atlantic 10 Conference,” athletic director Patrick Nero said in a press release. “This television package not only helps accomplish our goal of showcasing the university, GW Athletics and our rising men’s basketball program to the nation, but is also a great stride in enhancing the profile of the Atlantic 10 within intercollegiate athletics.”

Thursday, Jan. 9 at La Salle – 8 p.m. (NBCSN)

Saturday, Jan. 11 vs. Rhode Island – 2:30 p.m. (NBCSN)

Tuesday, Jan. 14 vs. VCU – 7 p.m. (CBSSN)

Saturday, Jan. 25 at George Mason – 2 p.m. (NBCSN)

Saturday, Feb. 1 at Dayton – 12:30 p.m. (NBCSN)

Wednesday, Feb. 12 at VCU – 7 p.m. (NBCSN)

Tuesday, Feb. 18 at Richmond – 7 p.m. (NBCSN)

Sunday, March 2 vs. George Mason – 2 p.m. (NBCSN)