Far fewer alcohol violations reported at Fall Fest than rowdy spring show

University police officers reported six students for alcohol possession at Fall Fest this year, a 60 percent decrease compared to GW’s annual spring show.

The half-dozen violations were reported in University Yard starting at about 4 p.m., much fewer than the dozen liquor law violations at last year’s Spring Fling starring Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Officers logged a total of 13 liquor violations though across campus Saturday, however which is just shy of last spring’s 19 violations on the day of the concert.

Last year, UPD reported six students for disorderly conduct at the spring show, including a student who was arrested for assaulting two officers. This year, one student was reported but was not arrested.

UPD Chief Kevin Hay said the number of charges in April was unusual for University-held concerts, which was held on one of the first warm weekends. He said the popularity of Macklemore likely contributed to the uptick.

“When that entertainer’s name was first announced, I guess he had a No. 1 hit soon thereafter, so he really brought in a lot of energy that I don’t know was completely anticipated,” Hay said in an interview.

In the spring, officers started to deny students access to University Yard after the crowd grew too large around the stage. Hundreds had lined up as early as 2:30 p.m. to watch the show.

A smaller crowd came to see Timeflies and DJ Earworm on Saturday.

UPD determines security measures based on anticipated crowd size, the number of entrances and exits to the event and the type of entertainer: “Is it a gospel choir or is it something a little more fast?” Hay said.

Hay added that pregame parties can contribute to the number of liquor law violations, along with underage students using fake IDs to buy or drink alcohol.

“When we look at a lot of the worst incidents we had last year, you can trace them back to an evening that began with the use of a fake ID, where they drank to excess and then bad things happened downstream,” Hay said.

This post was updated Sept. 5 to reflect the following correction
Due to editing errors, The Hatchet incorrectly reported that five students had received liquor law violations last weekend instead of six. In addition, 19 total liquor law violations took place on campus last spring, not 16.