Where to go and what to do to remember the March on Washington

Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor
Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor

Fifty years after 200,000 people swarmed the District’s streets to march for jobs and freedom, the city and the University commemorate Martin Luther King, Jr. and his civil rights legacy.

“Make Some Noise” Exhibit
Newseum
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
$21.95

The Newseum’s “Make Some Noise” exhibit spotlights student leaders who pushed their First Amendment rights and protested in the name of the civil rights movement. The exhibit includes a tribute to the four black students who staged a sit-in at the famed Woolworth’s Lunch Counter in February 1960.

“A Day Like No Other” Gallery
Library of Congress
Aug. 28 – March 1, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

While many videos and galleries focus on King during his iconic speech, the Library of Congress’ “A Day Like No Other” collection centers on the crowd gathered on the National Mall that day. Forty-two black and white images and additional news clippings create a visceral, in-the-moment experience.

Media Credit: Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor
D.C. Council members Jack Evans, Phil Mendelson, and Marion Barry march at the front of the D.C. Statehood parade Saturday.

Let Freedom Ring Commemoration and Call to Action Ceremony
The Lincoln Memorial
Aug. 28, 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

President Barack Obama will speak Wednesday on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where King delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech. The event starts at 1 p.m., and a bell will be rung two hours later to mark the exact time of King’s speech.

Soundtrack of a Movement: Freedom Songs in Perspective
Lisner Auditorium
Aug. 28, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Transport back to 1968 with the music that blared on the radio in the historic year. Soundtrack of a Movement will feature multimedia – including clips from the film “Soundtrack For A Revolution” – along with live performances from Patrick Lundy and The Ministers of Music and spoken word artist Toni Lightfoot.