Ivory Tower burglar pleads guilty in federal court

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo
Officers caught James Dunmore with a suitcase full of electronics from multiple rooms in Ivory Tower six months ago.

The man who was caught with a suitcase full of electronics in Ivory Tower earlier this year pleaded guilty to 10 offenses Wednesday including burglary, theft and unlawful entry.

James Dunmore admitted to a federal court that he stole five laptops, a Nintendo Wii game, two cell phones and a GWorld card, University Police Chief Kevin Hay said.

The court will sentence Dunmore on Sept. 13 for three counts of burglary, six counts of theft and one count of unlawful entry.

UPD officers arrested Dunmore Jan. 28 after he broke into rooms, mostly on the sixth floor, and attempted to carry items out in a stolen suitcase. Officers received a tip from a student and stopped the man as he tried to flee campus.

Dunmore had trailed into Ivory Tower behind a student. He then walked along the hallways, trying doorhandles until he found ones that were unlocked, Hay said.

That string of thefts brought GW’s security, which is relatively light compared to other city schools, under scrutiny. Top security officials said the security procedures were sufficient to stop crime when students are vigilant in preventing “tailgating” into their buildings.

This post was updated July 18, 2013 to reflect the following:

Correction appended

The Hatchet incorrectly reported that James Dunmore pleaded guilty on Tuesday. He actually pleaded guilty on Wednesday.