Georgetown bulldog mascot booted from campus

J.J.’s predecessor, Jack, Sr., who retired from Georgetown University mascot duty in March 2012. Since 1999, live mascots have lived on the campus and made appearances at school events. Photo courtesy of Rob Pongsajapan under the Creative Commons License.

Every dog has his day, but one canine mascot’s is coming to an end.

Georgetown University’s would-be mascot, Jack Jr. the bulldog, will not return to the campus this fall after biting a child last year, The Hoya reported Wednesday.

Investigations into the dog’s behavior ensued after the child’s family filed a lawsuit. The university consulted administrators, animal specialists and student caretakers in evaluating Jack Jr., also known as J.J., and deemed the pup unfit for a campus environment.

Traditionally, the university’s mascot dog has lived on campus, cared for by a university staffer and 20 students walkers known as the “Jack Crew.” J.J. has lived on Georgetown’s grounds since April 2012.

In a university statement released Wednesday, Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh assured students that J.J.’s departure did not preclude future live mascots from residing on campus.

“We look forward to working with [caretakers] and members of our community as we make plans for our next live mascot,” Pugh wrote, adding, “The tradition of a bulldog mascot at Georgetown is a cherished one, and it will continue.”