Colonials to face Hurricanes in Wooden Legacy opener

The men’s basketball team will square off against NCAA tournament contender University of Miami (Fla.) in the first round of the Wooden Legacy Tournament this Thanksgiving Day, ESPN announced Wednesday.

Recent transfer Maurice Creek was called a “player to watch” during the Wooden Legacy Tournament by ESPN. Photo courtesy of the Indiana Daily Student

The game will be played Nov. 28 at Cal State Fullerton’s Titan Gym at 2:00 p.m. on ESPNU.

The rest of the eight-team bracket was released on Wednesday as well, with the winner of the GW vs. Miami matchup set to face the winner of the Marquette vs. Cal State-Fullerton game (4:30 p.m., ESPN2) also being played on Thursday.

The Hurricanes are led by third-year head coach Jim Larranga, who helped take his team to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament last season, where they lost to anotherWooden Legacy participant, Marquette.

Miami finished last season with an overall 29-7 record and an ACC Tournament Championship, but return none of the team’s five starters from last year. GW holds a 2-0 record against Miami, with those victories coming back in 1971 and 1991.

For the tournament, recent transfer and graduate student guard Maurice Creek was placed on ESPN’s Players to Watch List, which read, “if he can finally stay healthy and realize his potential, it could be big for the Colonials.”

Ten of the tournament’s 12 games can be seen on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, while the remaining two will air on ESPN3. All final round games will be played on Dec. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The bottom half of the bracket consists of the tournament’s four remaining teams, College of Charlestown vs. San Diego State (8:30 p.m., ESPNU) and Creighton vs. Arizona State (11:00 p.m., ESPN2).

Click here for the full bracket.