The Year in Photos

Relive the 2012-13 school year at GW through some of the Hatchet’s favorite photos.

Zachary Krahmer | Senior Staff Photographer
Freshmen Mike Massaroli, of Staten Island, N.Y., and Hayley Robinson embrace September 11 during a vigil held in University Yard to honor those who died in the Sept. 11 tragedy. His father, who worked on the 104th floor of the North Tower, was one of the 2,606 people who died in the New York attacks.

Francis Rivera | Photo Editor
Sailing team members sophomore Matthew Ricci and senior Dickie Sant work in tandem on their boat during practice in September.

Gabriella Demczuk | Senior Staff Photographer
Olivia Lewis, a study abroad student from London, covers ground with the GW College Democrats in a suburb outside Columbus, Ohio.

People celebrate President Obama’s reelection outside the White House in November 2012.

Jordan Emont | Photo Editor
Students cheer from a tree after thousands flocked to the White House to celebrate President Obama’s reelection in November 2012.

Jordan Emont | Photo Editor
Margaret Soltan, an associate professor of English, teaches a massive open online course on poetry. She videotapes her lectures for thousands of students. GW could sponsor its own MOOCs, a proposal surrounded by questions regarding costs and quality.

Jordan Emont | Photo Editor
The GW players cheer for Isaiah Armwood, who dunked the game-winning shot against Dayton March 9, as he enters the locker room following the game. GW’s win helped them secure a berth in the 2013 A-10 championship.

Corey Zagone | Hatchet Photographer
Protesters and activists flooded the Supreme Court in March while the justices heard oral arguments about the legality of same-sex marriage.

Jordan Emont | Photo Editor
Senior Damian Legacy became ordained as a priest in the North American Old Catholic Church in October. He is now spearheading a campaign to reform the Newman Center by removing the leader, his former faith mentor, Father Greg Shaffer.

Cincinnati-based band Walk the Moon performs before headliners Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s set at Spring Fling April 7.

Corey Zagone | Hatchet Photographer
Crowds surround Russell Harris, right, as he tackles a fellow pillow-wielding participant April 7 on the National Mall. The sixth annual Pillow Fight Day, hosted by Capitol Improv, drew mobs from across the city and the country. The event takes place in cities around the world as part of an effort to invigorate public spaces.

Delaney Walsh | Contributing Photo Editor
A 50-foot tree fell across four lanes of traffic on 23rd Street, just before rush hour on the afternoon of April 24. The busy street was shut down between H and I streets for more than three hours. The tree crashed onto a taxicab and a car, but Metropolitan Police Department officers on scene said no injuries were reported. Shortly after, MPD arrested a man after he crossed the police line around the fallen tree.

After torrential rains soaked attendees, a festivalgoer slides in the mud between performances at the Sweetlife Festival May 11. The annual festival was held at Merriweather Post Pavilion and featured musicians like Solange, Kendrick Lamar, Passion Pit, and Phoenix.

Cameron Lancaster | Contributing Photo Editor
One of many students decked out in adorned graduation caps stands during the commencement ceremony May 19 on the National Mall.

GW alumna and actress Kerry Washington addresses graduates and their families at Commencement on the National Mall on May 19.