What We’re Watching: “Arrested Development,” Episode 11

This post was written by Hatchet reporters Allison Kowalski and Kelsey Renz.

Hatchet reporters woke up at 3 a.m. on the East Coast to binge-watch Season 4 of Arrested Development, released May 26, and chronicle one of the 15 new episodes every day.

Episode 11: “A New Attitude”

“Did somebody say ‘Wonder’?” jokes:  3

Dead doves: 1

Best one-liner: “Listen, if you insist on talking to me like you’re my wife, then don’t be surprised to find my dick in you and then you never hear from me again.”- Gob to Michael

Centered around: Gob Bluth

Gob (Will Arnett) is back and ready to enact his revenge on Tony Wonder (Ben Stiller). Wonder’s new act centers around the fact he’s gay, so Gob goes to a gay bar in an attempt to woo him and ultimately break his heart. Seeing Gob at the gay bar leads Wonder to think Gob is gay, so he devises the same plan.

Except, of course, both men are secretly straight. It’s such a bizarre setup that you’re just waiting for it to implode on itself.

Except, something odd happens – they start legitimately falling for each other, and while “Arrested Development” isn’t really a duo-type of show, it’s actually the most genuine relationship the show has ever presented us. Still, it doesn’t get too gooey and fits in with the show’s oddities with their back and forth “pretend” gay personas. Even their first time sleeping together only happens because Ann (Mae Whitman) manipulates them by having them wear a mask of the others’ face on it, which reads as absurdly as it plays out on screen. The only downside to this is that Ann has started showing some personality, which starts to take away from her “Her?” anonymity that made her appearances so enjoyable.

The episode even has Michael (Jason Bateman) and Gob finally confronting a lot of their frustrations with each other in the middle of a ballpit in a children’s gym. It’s probably one of the most cathartic episodes of the series, while also being one of the most absurd and hilarious. The writers have managed to find a sweet spot that allows them to be ridiculous while hashing out internal issues between characters. If anyone were to argue that the show wasn’t leading anywhere or coming up with anything substantial, this episode would completely null their theories.