Men’s tennis secures top-75 ranking

Despite a loss in the Atlantic 10 Championship, the men’s tennis team ended the season with its best national finish in at least the last seven years, coming in at No. 73 in Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings announced Tuesday.

Freshman Danil Zelenkov hits a serve during practice earlier this season. Zelenkov and his teammates helped propel the Colonials to their first top-75 ranking under head coach Greg Munoz. Hatchet File Photo

The ranking comes after GW finished its season with a 17-7 record, defeated four top-75 opponents, and made it to its fourth- straight A-10 Championship match.

This is the first time that a Colonials squad has finished its season in the top 75 under head coach Greg Munoz.

The Colonials received their first national ranking of the year, No.50, back in February, after defeats of then-No.60 Georgia State and No.61 South Alabama in the same weekend.

In total, they faced nine nationally ranked opponents over the course of the season, going 4-5 in those matches. It was a step taken by Munoz to help his team gain the competitive attention needed to earn a national ranking – a choice that ultimately paid off.

By March, GW had moved up five more spots to the N0. 45 ranking, the highest-ever ranking garnered by a team  over Munoz’s seven years as head coach.

The Colonials ended their season with a loss in the A-10 finals to then-No.30 VCU, which was the lone conference foe to defeat the Colonials in the regular season.