Op-Ed: Keep food trucks on campus

Food trucks have become a common fixture at GW over the last few years. Each day, nearly a dozen of these vendors serve up diverse cultural cuisines and build social connections on the Foggy Bottom campus.

But food trucks are under attack from the D.C. government.

The regulations under consideration would limit “food truck row” – on H Street, between 21st and 22nd streets – to a mere three trucks. This arbitrary limit would severely stifle students’ choices and take away from the University’s urban atmosphere – an unacceptable result for consumers.

These rules would not only cap the number of trucks that operate on campus, but would set up a monthly lottery system to determine which trucks can sit in those spots. If the same three trucks are there for a month before they are reassigned elsewhere, you can forget about variety.

Food trucks have become a part of the University’s fabric — and not just because they can quickly and easily satisfy a kabob craving. They have shared profits during Greek philanthropy and worked with a marketing class to better understand business models. The D.C. government’s decision to limit their numbers would signal the demise of an important part of our university.

Over the past year, the Student Association has worked with University administrators to place food trucks on the Colonial Cash system, increasing demand for food truck services.

But this becomes a moot point if the proposed food truck regulations become law. Many food trucks will be driven out of business for good.

Students are often underrepresented within the D.C. government, but on this important issue, the GW community asks that the City Council and Mayor Vincent Gray not pass this bill in its current form.

We hope that when students come back to campus this fall, they can still find their favorite food truck on H Street.

Ryan Counihan is the SA finance chair and Scott Lauermann is the SA’s vice president of financial affairs.