In the bins: Green Move-Out treasures

What do GW students toss out before they leave their dorms for the summer? Reporters rummaged through six residence halls and found a few things that will become coveted items at the charities that receive students’ discarded items as part of Green Move-Out.

Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 Handbag

This classic designer bag sat under a pile of abandoned clothes in The Dakota. Upon closer inspection, however, the zipper and interior lining appear less than genuine. Despite potentially stumbling across the holy grail of thrift shopping, we kind of hope it’s a knock-off. Retailing at around $855, this treasure shouldn’t qualify as anyone’s trash.

Keurig coffee maker

The discovery of a discarded Keurig on a college campus was surprising to say the least. We know it’s the end of the year and the supply of K-cups was probably long gone, but what caffeine-addicted college student would want to throw out a coffee maker? It wasn’t even broken, as it turned on right away when plugged in.

Hunter rain boots

These heeled, black rain boots are hot commodities at GW, running at about $135 online. And the poor soul who donated them to the Green Move-Out bin probably regrets that decision after last week’s frequent downpours.

Leather laptop bag

As far as functional finds go, this one is a winner. With a long shoulder strap and perfect laptop-sized pocket inside, this leather bag is practical and classy enough to take to an internship or job. As a bonus, the outside pouch is a great place to shove keys and papers when you are rushing between classes or out the door.

Plastic hard hat

Digging through people’s discarded goods can make you wonder a lot of things. In this case, it was unclear why a college student temporarily needed a plastic hard hat. Still, it could come in handy one day: a themed party, Halloween or maybe some spontaneous midnight construction.