Five Colonials earn tennis all-conference honors

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Jake Deitcher.

Freshman Danil Zelenkov practices his serve during practice earlier this season. The practice paid off as Zelenkov earned the Outstanding Rookie Performer Award. Hatchet File Photo

Five Colonials were awarded all-conference honors in men’s tennis this week – sweet news to help mask the sour taste after their one-point loss in the Atlantic 10 finals just nine days ago.

Freshman Danil Zelenkov was named the conference’s Most Outstanding Rookie Performer after making conference history in his debut season. Zelenkov won a record seven A-10 Rookie of the Week awards over the course of a season, and finished off the season by winning his last 10 No. 3 matches and his final eight No.2 doubles matches.

Junior Nikita Fomin, in his first season as a Colonial, earned a spot on the All-Conference First Team. He served as the other half of the No.2 doubles pair along with Zelenkov, and made an immediate impact as a transfer student this year.  Fomin played extremely well throughout the season from the No. 1 singles position, producing a team best 24-8 record and ending the season by winning nine of his final 10 matches.

Sophomore Francisco Dias joins Fomin on the All-Conference First Team, following up his freshman season in which he was named the Conference Most Outstanding Performer and Most Outstanding Rookie Performer. Dias finished the season playing his best tennis with senior Leo Lapentti, who earned a  17-0 record as No. 3 doubles partners together.

Senior Alex van Gils will graduate from GW with conference honors for the third straight season. Van Gils was named to the All-Conference Second Team after being a member of the first team in 2012 and the second team in 2011.

Van Gils’ season-long doubles partner, junior Ulrik Thomsen, was also honored,  earning All-Academic honors due to his success in the classroom along with his prowess on the court. Van Gils and Thomsen finished the season with a 10-10 record from the No. 1 doubles position.