The Hatchet earned regional honors from the Society of Professional Journalists this week, including best affiliated website and breaking news reporting.
In addition to nods for photography and news and editorial writing, the paper was named the No. 2 best all-around non-daily paper in Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and D.C.
The five first place submissions for the annual Mark of Excellence awards will move on to the coveted national competition, which honors the best collegiate journalism across the country.
Here are our award-winning submissions:
- First place for best affiliated website – Hatchet staff
- First place for breaking news reporting: U.S. News kicks GW off rankings – Hatchet staff
- First place for breaking news photography: Person struck by train at Foggy Bottom Metro – by Francis Rivera
- First place for editorial writing – Hatchet editorial board
- First place for online sports reporting: Getting down and derby – Marie McGrory
- Second place for best all-around non-daily student newspaper – Hatchet staff
- Second place for general column writing – Annu Subramanian
- Second place for in-depth reporting: GW inflates admissions data – Hatchet staff
- Third place for online in-depth reporting: Election 2012 coverage, including Newsroom updates and our Storming the White House video – Hatchet staff
- Third place for general news photography: Snapshot: Occupy D.C. – by Freddo Lin