Former student arrested for cyberstalking, extortion

Updated: Tuesday, April 23 at 9:12 p.m.

Detroit federal officials charged a former student Tuesday for threatening to distribute nude photos that he obtained illegally of more than a dozen women.

Adam Savader, 21, is in federal custody in New York, facing charges of cyberstalking and extortion. He allegedly sent threatening anonymous messages to 15 women between May 2012 and February 2013, according to a release from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Police officers from Ann Arbor, Michigan initiated the investigation after an alleged victim came forward and said someone had hacked her email account and obtained nude photos.

With the help of FBI investigators, the detectives then identified 15 victims in D.C., Detroit and Long Island, New York. The Washington Post reported that many of the victims are “college students who knew Savader.”

Savader is not currently a student, according to GW’s online directory. University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said the Office of the Registrar would not be able to verify when Savader left GW until Wednesday morning. He transferred to GW as a sophomore in fall 2010 and stayed at least through February 2012.

The 21-year-old is also well-known on the campaign trail, previously interning for former presidential candidates Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney, as well as vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan.

If convicted, he could face up to five years in prison, according to the FBI release.