Alumna helps lead marathon investigation

A GW Law School alumna and Massachusetts’ chief federal prosecutor is working on the country’s most-watched investigation this week, as details of Monday’s bombing at the Boston Marathon begin to roll in.

U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts Carmen Ortiz will help lead the investigation into Monday’s bombings.

“Rest assured, we are bringing all the necessary resources to assist in this matter and that we will conduct all that we can with all of our law enforcement partners,” Ortiz said at a press conference. “I ask for your patience and your understanding as we continue to pursue leads, gather evidence to get to the bottom of who did this and why.”

The Boston Globe reported Wednesday afternoon that officials spotted on tape an image of who they believe to be a suspect in the bombing.

Ortiz, who is the first Latina and woman to hold her position, was nominated by President Barack Obama in 2009.

She spoke at the law school’s graduation ceremony last year after she was deemed “Bostonian of the Year” by The Boston Globe.

The 57-year-old, known for being a tough prosecutor, said the attack also brought out the best in bystanders and emergency responders.

“What happened yesterday was a terrible tragedy, but it was amazing to see how people helped one another, running toward the blast to help those in greater need,” Ortiz said.