Crimes to be counted under VAWA reported rarely at GW

Updated: Tuesday, April 9 at 5:21 p.m.

Dating violence, domestic violence and stalking – crimes that colleges will soon have to report to the federal government – were infrequently reported at GW over the last two years.

The number of stalking reports at GW totaled four in 2011 and three in 2012, according to the campus crime log. The University Police Department has not logged any reports of stalking this year.

Reports of domestic violence also remained low – with five cases in 2011, none in 2012 and two in the first three months of 2013.

GW will report the crimes starting in 2014 to comply with the newly reauthorized Violence Against Women Act.

Universities are already required to report campus crime under the Clery Act, which was passed in 1990 to set across-the-board rules for compiling crime data and issuing warnings. GW recorded 11 reports of sexual assault in 2010 and 16 in 2011.

The Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act, which is part of the larger act, was first introduced in 2010, driven by an investigation of sexual assault on college campuses after University of Virginia senior Yeardley Love was murdered by her ex-boyfriend that year.

This post was updated April 9 at 5:22 p.m. to reflect the following:

The previous headline of this post read that crimes to be reported under VAWA were “rare.” Sexual assaults, including these crimes, often go unreported, and this post refers only to cases that were reported.