Women’s lacrosse team picks up third straight win

Rookie of the Week winner Olivia Boudreau attempts to run past a Bucknell player at a game last week. Hatchet File Photo

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Mary Ellen McIntire.

When Holy Cross scored its first goal in the final minute of the first half, it was a signal to the Colonials that the team was not going down without a fight.

But GW never faltered, and despite the Crusaders’ attempts at a comeback in the second half, it kept a steady lead throughout the game, ultimately beating the Crusaders 11-9.

The win comes at an important time in the season, said junior midfielder Jordy Bathras, as the team picks up more confidence.

“I think it comes at a good time for us. We’re pumped, have a lot of energy from this win, and we’re going to take it into spring break. We have two games away, so we just want to carry our energy and our hustle through,” she said.

Bathras picked up three goals and an assist against the Crusaders. The midfielder was extremely influential in the Colonials’ transitions from defense to offense, carrying the ball to their offensive end and setting up play around the 12-meter arc.

The Colonials started strong in the first when freshman midfielder Olivia Boudreau scored just after a minute and a half of play. About seven minutes later, Boudreau assisted senior midfielder Nicole Lacey. Junior midfielders Terasa Vassallo and Lindsey DiAntonio also scored in the first.

GW dominated play in the first half, head coach Tara Hannaford said. The team controlled the field and let the Crusaders know they were playing their game while on their turf.

“The first half we controlled possession. We had all but two draw controls which is huge. Attack moved the ball really well, got some nice opportunities,” Hannaford said.

The Colonials won the first draw control of the second half, but Holy Cross won the ball on a turnover and charged the net, netting their second goal just over a minute into the half.

A few minutes later, a clear attempt by GW led to senior goalkeeper Jess Hicks’ first save of the half. The Crusaders then took five free position shots in a row, but never scored and Hicks saved three. She then saved another shot and successfully cleared the ball, off which Lacey scored her third goal of the game.

While free position shots can be stressful for a goalie, Hicks said she knows they are the times when she must give back to her team.

“[The defenders] always have my back, so that’s when I try to have their back,” Hicks said. “You take one then the next one. You don’t want to think about all the past ones or anything else that’s happened. It’s more of a thing that you go one at a time.”

After Lacey’s goal, the Colonials began to control the game again, until there was about 12 minutes left of play. Holy Cross scored, bringing the score to 10-4. In the last few minutes of the game, they scored five goals and only allowed GW to score once.

Hannaford said that once the team had the lead, they became more frantic in the second half. She said that the team is young and that their ability to maintain the control they had in the first half will come with time.

“I think it’s just a learning experience. It’s learning how when a team is making a run how nothing changes from what you were doing in the first 45 minutes from when it was working and believing in that, and I think that’s what they’ve got to walk away and learn,” Hannaford said.

The game marked GW’s third consecutive win.