Men’s tennis team blanks two A-10 opponents to open league play

Then-freshman Francisco Dias, shown here during the 2011 tournament season. | Hatchet File Photo

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Sam Johnson.  

The men’s tennis team captured two of their three victories this weekend, including back-to-back sweeps of A-10 opponents.

Earlier in the week, the Colonials earned the No. 50 spot from the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) and looked to capitalize on that heading into the weekend.

Heading into Friday’s match with a 5-4 record, the Colonials sought revenge from a 4-2 loss to the Lions during the first round of the ECAC Championships February 15th. But the Colonials, ranked 50th, suffered a 4-3 decision to No.33 Columbia on the Lions’ home court.

In the match against Columbia, strong performances were had by doubles team junior Nikita Fomin and freshman Danil Zelekov, who captured an 8-4 win over the Lions. Fomin and Zelenkov also seized the Colonials’ only singles wins against the Lions.

But the Colonials rebounded from the loss against Columbia,  and recorded a clean sweep against Temple, blanking the Owls 7-0.

With a clean sweep, the momentum rolling, the Colonials sought and attained their second scoreless sweep of another A-10 opponent, Fordham.

The doubles team of Fomin and Zelenkov finished strong, holding off Fordham with an 8-1 decision. Sophomore Francisco Dias and senior Leonardo Lapentti further re-enforced that momentum with an 8-3 decision of their own.

Rounding off the Colonials’ second straight scoreless win of the weekend at No. 5 spot was Lapentti, who defeated the Rams’ Max Peara, 7-5, 6-2.

The Colonials are looking to keep the pace going as they head to California to compete at the USTA Calabasas Futures and tackle dual matches against UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine.