Hotel opens on campus after a month of delays

The Courtyard Marriott hotel on 20th and E streets welcomed its first guests this week, after more than two years of construction that rattled neighbors and nearby student residents.

Devin Denoncourt, the general manager, said the $28 million hotel faced holdups in the fall and again in January, putting off its projected opening until after Inauguration weekend – D.C.’s busiest weekend.

The hotel plans to build a relationship with the University, he said, extending an invitation for anyone “from the students to the professors to tour the hotel.” Its proximity to campus could draw students’ visiting families to stay in one of the 148 rooms.

He added that the hotel has had a “comfortable start,” with a mix of parents, businessmen and professors already booking rooms.

The hotel features full-access Wi-Fi, outlets, a library and a restaurant, as well as a 24-hour market.

The nine-floor building shares a block with three residence halls: 1959 E Street, Thurston Hall and Mitchell Hall, as well as the Elliott School of International Affairs building.

Foggy Bottom residents and students complained of noisy construction when demolition for the hotel began in 2010, saying conditions were “unlivable.”

The hotel is one of more than 20 Marriotts in D.C.