Weekend wrap-up

Senior captain Stephanie Stoicovy goes through her balance beam routine. Hatchet File Photo by Jordan Emont | Photo Editor

A lot of Colonial sports teams were in action this weekend. Here’s a look at what couldn’t fit on the sports page:

Gymnastics

GW finished in fourth of six teams at the Sweetheart Invitational this weekend.

Its best event as a team was the balance beam, where the Colonials scored a cumulative 48.750. GW was paced by senior Stephanie Stoicovy, who finished fourth in the all-around with 38.975, including 9.875 on floor exercise, which was good enough to tie her for third in that category.

Sophomore Elena Corcoran tied for third on the vault with a 9.775 and senior Kayla Carto tied for third on the balance beam with a 9.850.

Women’s water polo

The Colonials went 2-2 this weekend, defeating Bucknell and Villanova but dropping to Marist and Hartwick.

GW defeated Bucknell in its opening match of the weekend 10-9, off the offensive strength of freshman Erin Donoghue, who scored a career-best five goals. Sophomore goalkeeper Chandler Vilander kept the Colonials in the game with six saves. Later that day, GW fell to Hartwick 23-12. Junior Katherine Berry paced GW with four goals, and fellow junior Rachel Bentley added six points on three goals and three assists.

The next day, the Colonials opened play with a 10-6 loss to Marist, which scored three unanswered goals down the stretch to take a 5-3 lead into halftime. From there, they pulled away, holding GW to just 6-27 shots on the game, despite Vilander recording a season-high 11 saves. But it was the Colonials’ offense’s turn to shine against Villanova, led by Donoghue, who tallied a hat trick. GW pulled away decisively to take that game 11-6.

Women’s Squash

The Colonials competed in the CSA Team Nationals this weekend, making it to the Consolation Finals before falling to Williams College in their final match of the season, 8-1.

In the team’s first match of the championships, freshman Anna Gabriela Porras was the only Colonial to pick up a win, defeating her No.1 opponent Catherine Jenkins 11-4, 11-6, 11-8.  Unfortunately, the rest of the squad did not fair so well, ultimately falling to Columbia 8-1.

Continuing competition in the Consolation Semifinals, the Colonials faced off against Amherst, winning the match 7-2.  Porras again won her No.1 match in straight sets, along with freshman Alexa Tzarnas and junior Elizabeth Tapley who won their No. 6 and 5 matches, respectively.

In what would be their final match of the season, the Colonials were defeated by Williams College, 8-1.  Repeating Friday’s performance, the Colonials gave no help to Porras, who tallied the only win for GW.  Porras went undefeated on the weekend and finished her inaugural season with a 16-4 record.

The team concludes the season ranked as the No.14 team in the CSA. Porras and junior Jackie Shea will move on to represent the Colonials at the CSA Individual National Championships, March 1-3.

Men’s Tennis

The Colonials went into action at the ECAC Indoor Championship this weekend, finishing play with a 1-2 record.

On Friday, the team fell to No.42 Columbia, 4-2.  Junior Nikita Fomin defeated his No.2 singles opponent 6-2,6-4, while fellow junior Viktor Svensson earned a victory in his No.6 match, 6-3, 7-6.  In doubles action, Columbia earned points in the No.1 and 2 matches, garnering enough points for the overall victory.

The Colonials pulled the upset on Saturday, defeating No.59 Dartmouth 4-3.  It was the highest ranked team the Colonials have defeated since head coach Greg Munoz took over seven seasons ago.  In the No.2 doubles match, Fomin and freshman Danil Zelenkov defeated their opponent 8-5, while sophomore Francisco Dias and senior Leonardo Lapentti won their No.3 doubles match 8-2.  In singles play, Dias and Fomin won their No.1 and No.2 matches, respectively, setting up junior Urlik Thomsen to clinch the match with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 win.

In the fifth-place match, the Colonials were swept by Yale, 4-0.  The loss left the team in sixth place for the tournament.

Women’s Tennis

The Colonials opened up A-10 play this weekend with a 6-1 win over Saint Joseph’s.

GW swept doubles play, holding the Hawks to a combined four points and earning the first three points before heading into singles action.  The team was just as dominant in singles action, losing just the No. 1 match.  Freshman Lana Robins got GW back on track with a win in the No.2 position, followed by wins from freshman Stephanie Wei and senior Mimi Hamling in the No.3 and 4 spots, respectively.  Senior Dorota Lysienia and junior Isabella Escobar closed out the matches with wins of their own.

The team stayed perfect on their first weekend of conference play with a 4-3 win over Duquesne.  GW earned two out of three doubles victories, with wins from the pairs of Lysienia and Robins, and Wei and freshman Christina Carpenter.  In singles play, junior Leah Pascarella defeated her No.1 opponent 6-3, 7-5, while Wei and Hamling followed behind with wins in the No.3 and 4 slots to close out the match.

Sailing

In their first match of the spring session, the Colonials climbed three spots from their Day 1 position to finish the College of Charleston Coed Spring Intersectional in 12th place.

The team earned their 12th place finish with a combined 181 points total.  Winning the even was host and third ranked College of Charleston, with a total of 58 points.

Freshman Maria Sinagra, sophomore Matthew Ricci and senior Richard Sant teamed together to finish 8th in the B Division with 69 points.  Senior Ian Conner and seniors Rebecca Engel and Skye Kussmann earned a total of 112 points to place 16th overall in the A Division.

– By Elizabeth Traynor and Nick Ong