Not your average Eggo

Frozen Eggos or a classic treat? As one of the District’s newest culinary trends, specialty waffle eateries are popping up everywhere. From traditional Belgian haunts to eclectic, modern cafes, we checked out the most talked-about waffles around the D.C. area.

Mosaic Cuisine & Cafe

186 Halpine Road, Rockville, Md.

Ride the Red Line up to Mosaic Cuisine & Cafe for French and Belgian food and an upscale atmosphere. The restaurant serves up a tasty brunch every day until 2 p.m. Sample the star items on the menu – the “Wafflessimo” section. You can stay in your comfort zone with its Simply Sweet waffle ($7) topped with fresh fruit, caramel or whipped cream – or a combination of the three. For an ultra filling European-style waffle, try one of the waffle sandwiches. You can substitute crunchy, thin waffles for bread on any sandwich on the menu. We sampled the creamy Pecan Grape Chicken Salad sandwich ($9.25), and it was worth the leap of faith.

Media Credit:

Open City

2331 Calvert St., NW

The coffeehouse, diner and bar, around the corner from the Woodley Park Metro stop, is famous for its Chai Tea Waffle ($7.35). Soft and fluffy with a distinct tea flavor, the waffle gets a kick from spiced syrup but is balanced by fresh whipped cream. It comes in four quadrants, so approach it strategically: Savor the pure form, add on a little whipped cream to section two, pour on some maple syrup onto another and finish the remaining segments in whichever style you like best. This waffle wins as the most inventive must-try in D.C.

Lincoln’s Waffle Shop

504 10th St., NW

Steps from the famous Ford’s Theater, this diner’s signature item – the waffle – is less presidential than the shop’s namesake. Their waffle, crunchy and buttery ($5.95, served with two eggs), is just a step up from an Eggo, and the maple syrup is thin and watery. Stay in your pajamas and heat up frozen waffles in your toaster oven instead.

St. Arnold’s On Jefferson

1827 Jefferson Place, NW
(located between North Connecticut Avenue and North 18th Street)

While St. Arnold’s on Jefferson is first and foremost a mussels bar, the dark, intimate cafe’s hidden talent is waffles. Try a Belgian Liege waffle with classic, reliably good toppings like Nutella or honey ($9). The waffle was sweet but so chewy that I needed a drink to wash it down. If you’re of age, the eatery also offers a variety of international beers. Feeling adventurous? Try the Waffle Burger ($13) – a classic burger sandwiched between two waffles and served with fries.