What We’re Watching

Hatchet reporter Jesslyn Angelia shares her latest movie experience.

Warm Bodies” (2013)
★★★½✩✩

In many ways, “Warm Bodies” fits the mold of an archetypal romantic comedy.

But then there’s the whole zombie thing.

An inventive mash-up of Shakespeare and zombies based on the novel of the same name, “Warm Bodies” revolves around the life of R (Nicholas Hoult), an unusual zombie who, despite being limited to grunting and uttering monosyllabic sounds, gives the audience a glimpse of his mind with his narrative voice overs. On a hunt for brains, R encounters Julie (Teresa Palmer), a human, and falls in love with her after eating her boyfriend’s brain and inheriting his memories. From then on, R adopts a decidedly human trait: He becomes Julie’s protector, not her predator.

While “Warm Bodies” had a promising premise, its neatly packaged ending felt all too contrived. And in the scope of zombie movies, it’s entirely overshadowed by films like “Zombieland,” a more funny and original apocalyptic tale. I definitely expected more from director Jonathan Levine, known for films like “50/50.” Still, praise must be given for the solid cast and a fun, oldies soundtrack.

Ultimately, “Warm Bodies” is an elevated twist on a date night movie. It’s “Twilight” with more humor, less cheese-factor, a cohesive story line and an engaging cast.

Director:
Jonathan Levine
Genre: Comedy
Cast: Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer, John Malkovich, Analeigh Tipton, Dave Franco
Release Date:
Feb. 1