East Coast Escapes: Outer Banks, N.C.

The Outer Banks, a string of islands off the coast of North Carolina, is a scenic destination known for its extensive shoreline. The Wright brothers’ first flight took place on the Outer Banks, and the monument to it is just one of many sights to see on North Carolina’s coast.

Travel

Since driving is out of the picture for most college students, the next best way to get to the Outer Banks is to book a $160 round-trip flight to Norfolk, Va. Taxis, shuttles and buses run from the Norfolk airport to the Outer Banks.

Lodging

Starting at around $60 per night, dozens of hotels located on the beach in Kill Devil Hills are available, including the Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel.

Activities

Consider some cheap beach rentals as you soak up the sun and lounge on the beach. Kitty Hawk Cycle Company offers well priced bike rentals to help you explore the Outer Banks for $15 per day or $40 per week. Kitty Hawk Kayak and Surf School offers a variety of ways to take a more active role in your explorations, with kayaks, stand-up paddle boats and surfboards for rent, for $30, $29 and $10 a day, respectively. And if that isn’t quite enough exercise, the Running of the Leprechauns 8k and the 24th annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade are on March 16 and 17.

Eateries

Enjoy waterfront dining at one of Nag Head’s most popular seafood restaurants, Tale of the Whale. Prices range from $18 to $40 for entrées.

Another option is Owen’s Restaurant, where you can delve into a fresh seafood meal while discovering some of the Outer Banks’ history. It’s the only restaurant in the Outer Banks still owned and operated by its founding family. Entrées run from $20 to $40.