East Coast Escapes: Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls sees about 12 million tourists per year. If you haven’t ever made the trip to this border landmark, check it out this break. Those who choose to visit the falls can enjoy tours on foot or by boat, try nearby restaurants and explore the discovery center and state park.

Travel

The easiest way to get to Niagara Falls from D.C. is to fly into the Buffalo, N.Y. airport. Round-trip fights range from $180 to $200 the week of March 11. Another option is to take an Amtrak train for $91. Although cheaper, the train ride takes close to 13 hours.

Lodging

There are many affordable hotel options in Niagara Falls. The Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls, just one block away from the main attraction, is only $50 per night.

Activities

For just $12, take the Cave of the Winds tour through the falls. Equipped with bright yellow ponchos and led by experienced guides, tourists walk behind the falls and feel the cool mist on their faces as tons of water rushes by them.

Check out a variety of underwater creatures at the Aquarium of Niagara for a $10 entry fee.

For an even cheaper $3, experience Niagara Gorge Discovery and enjoy the scenery of the State Park on several hiking trails while learning some of the local history of Niagara Falls.

Eateries

Check out Elements on the Falls to satisfy your hunger and enjoy a view of the falls. Entrées are about $20 each.

Enjoy the familiar Hard Rock Café at its Niagara Falls location for $20 to $30 per entrée.

For a more inexpensive, low-key dinner, try Donatello’s, a much-loved pizzeria, for around $12 per person.