What We’re Listening To

Justin Timberlake. Photo courtesy of Caroline Bonarde Ucci under the Creative Commons License.

Hatchet reporter Priyanka Pardasani shares her latest musical obsessions.

Suit and Tie
Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z
★★★✰✰

As someone whose password for the last 12 years has been some variation of the word “N’sync,” it’s easy to admit how excited I was for Justin Timberlake’s new single. But I’m currently in the process of crying him a river because I can’t help hide my disappointment.  For someone who can dance, act and sing, “Suit and Tie” doesn’t do a worthy job of showcasing Mr. JT’s outstanding talents. This song marks a change in the singer’s style, as he transitions toward a more sophisticated, retro sound. If listeners should take away anything after hearing this track, it’s keeping in mind how truly gifted a producer Timbaland is at crafting beats. Although this song is in no way a bad one, I expected more from Timberlake’s debut, and am still nonetheless excited to hear the rest of his album. “The 20/20 Experience” is scheduled to release later this year.

I Come Apart
A$AP Rocky ft. Florence Welch
★★★✰✰

The debut studio album by rapper and fashion enthusiast A$AP Rocky was released earlier this month, and ‘I Come Apart’ is unequivocally one of the album’s stand-out tracks. Not only does the track capture the rapper’s more vulnerable side, but it also features the incredibly talented Florence Welch of Florence + The Machine fame. This song is packed with some catchy lines and some sweet flows, but without question, Welch’s vocals dominate the track. Some would argue that this isn’t the first time that someone featured on one of A$AP’s songs steals the show, as Lana Del Rey was praised for her performance on her collaboration with the rapper in “Ridin.” All in all, keeping in mind the quality of rap music released today, this Harlem native should be given credit for putting out a memorable freshman album.

It All Began with a Burst
Kishi Bashi
★★★★★

This song leaves me absolutely speechless in the best way possible. Kishi Bashi is a founding member of the band Jupiter One, and is a true modern virtuoso, with skills as a violinist, beat-boxer and songwriter. This song incorporates splashes of synthesized sounds, flashes of electronic shades and rhythmic claps. On an uplifting track sure to maximize your spirits, Kishi Bashi sprinkles in his violin chops to add a touch of musicality rarely found in popular music. The nuanced violin makes the track even more well-rounded in its use of acoustic and electronic sounds. A must listen.