What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Andrew Avrick shares his latest musical obsession.

After collaborations with a medley of upcoming artists, from SBTRKT and Sampha to Katy B, British singer-songwriter Jessie Ware has gained a formidable following. As she launches her first tour in the states this month and positions herself as a rising artist of 2013, The Hatchet checked out a few tracks off of her recently released album, “Devotion.”

British singer-songwriter Jessie Ware. Photo courtesy of Rene Passet under the Creative Commons License.

110%/If You’re Never Gonna Move
★★★★★

Due to a dispute with rapper Big Punisher’s estate over a sample, Jessie Ware changed the name of “110%” to “If You’re Never Gonna Move” for her newest EP. But don’t let the revised track title leave you dismayed: It’s identical to the previously released album version, and still beaming with Ware’s musical style. The singer’s soft vocals ride along the quiet clicking beat. It is here that the hip-hop influence of Jessie Ware’s productions pervades the track, where a heavy percussion drives the single forward. She’s incorporated varied musical influences, but is not controlled or defined by them. It’s a balance most artists struggle to manage that Ware harnesses with ease.

Wildest Moments
★★★★✩

In “Wildest Moments,” we hear Ware more forceful than in the rest of her material, as she channels her inner diva strength. This track makes her sound like another Leona Lewis or Adele, poised to conquer the charts in the States after reaching fame in England. While the magnitude of her vocals is certainly at a high, the song is pretty standard for the genre, lacking the uniqueness of her other singles. It’s obvious why this is her highest charting single abroad: It’s a ballad that mixes bells, chimes and synths with powerful but somewhat subdued vocals. She exhibits an impressive level of control over her voice, sounding collected while at the same time belting out her lyrics. Hearing it makes it easy to see why Jessie Ware gaining a real mainstream presence.

Sweet Talk
★★★★★

“Sweet Talk” exudes a humble innocence not frequently found in this type of music. It’s fitting that the official video for the single shows a child version of the singer-songwriter in the studio putting the track together with a production crew of similarly young children. Her vocals blend in with the cool retro 1980s-style production, another testament to Ware’s embracing musical versatility. Prominent guitar propels this fast-moving jam forward. Her humble youthful tone matches the production’s dreamy synths, making the song one of her best singles.