Basketball notebook: men’s recruit named All-American nominee, women’s legend honored

Mike Longergan
Head coach Mike Lonergan, seen here at his introductory press conference. Hatchet File Photo

Between last night’s men’s basketball game against Temple and tonight’s women’s basketball game versus Saint Joseph’s, the two programs are busy this week.

But the news doesn’t stop there: women’s basketball alumna Jennifer Shasky Calvery is among the first Atlantic 10 Women’s Basketball Legends, and men’s basketball recruit Nick Griffin is a McDonald All-American nominee.

Women’s basketball

Calvery joins Red Auerbach as the two GW representatives in the inaugural A-10 legends class. Featuring 16 student-athletes who have made significant contributions to the league’s women’s basketball programs, the 2013 legends will be honored March 16 at the Barclays Center.

Calvery, a three-time Atlantic 10 All-Conference selection, lead the Colonials to their first A-10 championship in 1992, earning tournament MVP honors after the  62-57 victory over Rutgers. She was a member of GW’s 1991 and 1992 NCAA tournament teams, Calvery was also honored as the 1993 NCAA Woman of the Year.

She still holds the school record for three-point percentage in a game, 1.000 – 7-for-7, and ranks fifth all-time at GW with 195 career triples. Calvery also averaged 14.0 points per game in her career, the fifth-best scoring average in program history.

Men’s basketball

Incoming recruit Nick Griffin is among the 2013 nominees for the McDonald All-American game, announced today.

Over 800 players from 39 states and the District of Columbia were nominated for the 2013 McDonald’s All American Games. Griffin is one of 22 nominees from Maryland.

Griffin, who signed his letter of intent in November, is a 6-foot-2 guard for Magruder High School in Rockville, Md. Last season, he averaged 17 points per game for Magruder last season, en route to a 26-1 record and the Class 4A state championship.