Profile on Style

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Kelsey Renz.

Whether you are looking to stay warm or simply searching for a finishing touch to your outfit, consider donning a vest this season. These wardrobe staples are fun and functional for both fall and spring.

Taylor Jett. Sara Wagner | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Taylor Jett
Hometown: Windsor, Conn.
Year: Freshman
Major: Undecided
Outfit: Boots, Steve Madden; sweatshirt, American Eagle; pants, H&M; vest, bag, Ralph Lauren

We caught up with Taylor while she was grabbing lunch at West Hall. Her outfit highlights popular pastel colors, previewing the nearing spring. Taylor created a cohesive look that was both fashion forward and comfortable by mixing complementary colors and finishing it off with a vest. Her pink pants stood out in a sea of blue jeans due to their pretty color and feminine style, and paired nicely with her blue sweatshirt and brown boots. Taylor’s oversized bag also looked fantastic. It was her vest, however, that tied everything together. A vest of another color might have been overwhelming in addition to the blue and pink, but a white vest was the perfect complement.

Geetha Cawthon. Sara Wagner | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Geetha Cawthon
Hometown: Arlington, Va.
Year: Freshman
Major: Biomedical engineering
Outfit: Shirt, Banana Republic; jeans, Lucky Brand; rain boots, Sperry; vest, Polo

Geetha was studying in Eckles when her royal purple vest caught our eye. Bright neon colors such as this one are popular for spring, but still have a place in D.C.’s winters. Geetha’s outfit was simple, allowing her vest and rain boots to stand out. Her charcoal grey shirt looked fantastic with the purple hue of her vest, and also tied in to the colors of her rain boots. Her boots add a preppy touch to the outfit, featuring a delightful plaid pattern of light grey and pink. It can be a challenge to build a look around patterned boots, but Geetha did a fantastic job incorporating her boots into this ensemble. While her rain boots were lovely, it was her vest that was the true statement piece. It was flattering and vibrant, pulling together a look that oozed effortlessly cool style.

Emily Xie. Sara Wagner | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Emily Xie
Hometown: Baltimore
Year: Freshman
Major: Political Communication
Outfit: boots, Nordstrom; jeans, Abercrombie; blouse, J. Crew; vest, Michael Kors

We spotted Emily leaving Post Hall, and were impressed by her use of two contrasting colors, black and pink. Her outfit is proof that just a little bit of color can go a long way when put together with the correct pieces. Emily’s pretty pink blouse was not only flattering but also on point for this spring’s trend of pastel and neon. It looked fantastic underneath her black vest, adding a playful splash of color. The vest itself was absolutely gorgeous, the perfect addition to any outfit. Emily maintained her sleek look by adding black leather boots and a handbag of the same hue. Her outfit was simple and stylish, ideal for a day in class or with friends.