What We’re Watching

Hatchet staff writers Julie Alderman and Karolina Ramos share their latest movie experience.

Les Misérables” (2012)
★★★★½✰

Devoted fans of the musical, and even those rare literature buffs who have read the novel in its entirety, may have their worries about “Les Misérables,” the film adaptation of the famed Broadway production. Will the film actors butcher the songs musical aficionados grew up with? Could the studly Hugh Jackman pull off the look of an old man? Can Russell Crowe even sing?

The answers to such inquiries prove surprising in one of the most talked-about films of the season.

Taking place in the post-French Revolutionary period, the story revolves around Jean Valjean (Jackman), a petty felon who seeks to establish a new identity after a recent jail release. Unable to catch a break, Valjean is vigilantly chased around France by scrutinizing inspector Javert (Crowe). As he ventures throughout France, Valjean comes across desperate characters vying to survive amidst proletariat rebellion, from impoverished mother Fantine (Anne Hathaway) to student activist Marius (Eddie Redmayne).

Director Tom Hooper departed from traditional approaches to movie musicals, having the cast sing live instead of lip syncing with a prerecorded track. Some fared better than others, like musical theater alums Jackman and Hathaway, while others, namely Crowe, struggled to deliver revered Broadway classics with skill.  Hathaway’s visceral rendition of the classic “I Dreamed a Dream” rightfully left movie-goers in tears. And although we’re not complaining about Jackman’s abundant v-necks displaying off his muscular pecs, it was hard to believe he was playing a rugged 60 year-old man with a felonious past.

For those unfamiliar with the plot, a quick Wikipedia search may be in order to understand the complexities of the entirely-sung story. If you’re already averse to musicals, “Les Mis” is probably one to avoid.  Still, the film is sure to satisfy Broadway-devotees and French literature buffs alike.

Director: Tom Hooper
Genre:
Drama, Musical
Cast: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried
Release Date: Dec. 25