What We’re Listening To

Rihanna, whose latest album, “Unapologetic,” was released this November. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons License.

Hatchet reporter Priyanka Pardasani shares her latest musical obsessions.

Loveeeee Song
Rihanna feat. Future

Barbadian babe Rihanna released her seventh studio album, “Unapologetic” on Nov. 19 – and this has to be one of my favorite tracks on the album.  Rihanna is known for her blunt and headstrong personality, carrying an invincible air. But the singer reveals more of her mortal side through this song. Many celebrities, Rihanna included, are often considered to be larger than life, but the singer displays that she’s human and that she just needs “love and affection” like everyone else. Her sultry voice hits the track after Future’s catchy and autotune hook starts the song. Both singers do an incredible job of expressing a caertain pain in their voices that make this ballad even more genuine and stirring.

New Day
Alicia Keys

Amidst a generation consumed by electronic music and synthesized sounds, we are blessed with the presence of Alicia Keys.  From her debut album, “The Diary of Alicia Keys” – arguably one of the best female R&B albums since “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” – to her latest released album “Girl on Fire,” Ms. Keys never fails to mesmerize.  Her timeless voice is crystallized on the track “New Day,” where she confidently sings about a new day and about the beauty of life. Her voice is so powerful on this track that it even rises above the slamming drum line in the background. The singer talks about boldly pursuing dreams and overcoming fears, a personable theme that gives listeners an idea of where Alicia Keys is right now, besides being on top of the charts.

Lessons in Love
Kaskade feat. Neon Trees (Fareoh Remix)

Usually, I’m not a huge fan of remixes on my favorite songs. But up-and-coming DJ Fareoh, who toured with Kaskade earlier this year, is impressive. Kaskade’s album “Fire & Ice,” which dropped late this year, was among my most frequently played albums freshman year.  Although I feel as though I should be morally opposed to modifying my favorite songs, it is hard to ignore the incredible job that Fareoh has done on this track. “Lessons in Love” is one of the most lyrically rich songs on “Fire & Ice,” but Fareoh’s remix doesn’t dilute the quality of the songwriting at all.  Instead, he makes the song more danceable and enhances it melodically while providing a killer rhythm.  It is a must-download, and if you enjoy Fareoh’s performance on this song, check out his remix of “Buy My Love” by Wynter Gordon.