Celebrate the holidays in the District

Dec. 3, 2012

Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington DC
This 200-singer chorus will perform traditional carols with Virginia Bronze handbell ensemble. This event will also feature the “Rockettes” and a vampy visit from Mrs. Claus.
GW Lisner Auditorium, 8 p.m.
Tickets: $13-$55

Winter on the Water
Sharpen your skates or rent a pair at D.C.’s newest outdoor skating rink in Georgetown. The rink will remain open for skating until March 2013.
Washington Harbour, 3050 K St., NW
See washingtonharbour.com/skating for holiday hours
$9 per person, $5 for skate rental

U.S. Capitol Tree Lighting
Before the National Christmas Tree is lighted later this week, venture down to the U.S. Capitol.
U.S Capitol, East Capitol and 1st streets, NE

Dec. 5, 2012

The Nutcracker
Get into the holiday spirit by watching Ballet West’s production of this classic show. The show runs from Dec. 5 through 9.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts 2700 F St., NW
Tickets: $45-$150

Dec. 6, 2012

National Christmas Tree Lighting
Neil Patrick Harris will host this year’s event. If you didn’t receive a ticket through the lottery to witness the official lighting at 5 p.m., the tree will be decorated and on display for the entire month of December.
The Ellipse, 1600 Constitution Ave., NW

Dec. 8, 2012

JCC Hanukkah Celebration
Celebrate the first night of Hanukkah by lighting the candles at the Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Md. This event is from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, 6125 Montrose Road, Rockville, Md.

The Christmas Revels
With a cast of more than 100 actors, singers and musicians, the 30th annual production of this show will include musical performances like “Twelve Days of Christmas.” The show runs from Dec. 8 through 16.
Lisner Auditorium
Tickets: $14.40-$36 for students

Dec. 9, 2012

Run with Santa 5K
Keep off those unwanted holiday season pounds. Venture to Virginia and get a little exercise on a run with Santa. Participants are encouraged to dress in their favorite holiday costume and awards will be given out for the best costume. The race begins at 8:30 a.m.
Reston Town Center
11900 Market St., Reston, Va. Race fee: $30-$35

Dec. 11, 2012

Jingle Ball Holiday Concert
As finals season sets in, take a break from studying and head to the Patriot Center to watch performances by Flo Rida, Cher Lloyd, Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, Enrique Iglesias, PSY, Ed Sheeran and Austin Mahone. The concert begins at 7 p.m.
Patriot Center, George Mason University
4500 Patriot Circle, Fairfax, Va.
Tickets: $35-$250

Dec. 13, 2012

Give a Can, Get a Can
This month, give back to the community by participating in this easy holiday fundraiser for Martha’s Table. Simply bring a can of nonperishable food to Birreria Paradiso and receive a free can of beer. This event runs from 11:30 a.m. to 11p.m.
Birreria Paradiso, 3282 M St., NW

Dec. 19, 2012

Rock-n-Shop
For those who still need to do some last-minute holiday shopping or just enjoy a good garage sale, journey to the Black Cat’s annual rock and roll garage sale. The event, which starts at 8 p.m., will features records, T-shirts and more.
Black Cat, 1811 14th St., NW

Dec. 28, 2012

Kwanzaa Celebration
Attend a Kwanzaa celebration featuring Melvin Deal and the African American Heritage Drummers and Dancers. This free event begins at 10 a.m.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
1600 Morris Road, SE

Dec. 31, 2012

New Year’s Eve at the Kennedy Center
Before the ball drops, listen to Broadway, film and television star Cheyenne Jackson, as well as other musical artists perform music from the 1950s and 60s. The concert starts at 8:30 p.m.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, 2700 F St., NW
Tickets: $55-$105