Staff Editorial: GW has to keep up with the times

Walking around campus, it’s impossible to ignore all of the changes taking place, from the construction of the new Science and Engineering Hall to the recent groundbreaking on the GW Museum.

But despite these new modern buildings, one thing has remained much the same: the technology in the University’s classrooms.

A Faculty Senate report found that GW is lacking when it comes to basic technological services in classrooms, which is concerning at a school that prides itself on being on the cutting edge of history.

Eighty-four of the 135 general purpose classrooms on the Foggy Bottom campus offer outdated audio-visual and IT equipment, according to the report.

GW has come a long way in the last 14 years, going from housing just six technological classrooms to the current 150. But these improvements are not something students and faculty should have to beg the University to give them. Adequate technology should be standard in every classroom.

Of course, the University has demonstrated its commitment to long term goals with the development of the new buildings on campus. But we shouldn’t allow the focus on future building projects to detract from other essential improvements.

Faculty don’t need SMART Boards in every room to do their jobs effectively. But they should have the modern tools they need to offer students a 21st century education.