Profile on Style

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Kelsey Renz.

As winter approaches, GW trendsetters turn to leggings both to keep warm and complement their best shirts and dresses.

Gaukhar Uskenbayeva. Allie Schiffer | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Gaukhar Uskenbayeva
Hometown: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Year: Graduate student
Major: Accounting
Outfit: Boots, BCBG; leggings, Zara; dress, Juicy Couture; scarf, Loehmann’s; earrings, Kazakhstan; watch, Dolce & Gabbana

We spotted Gaukhar enjoying lunch with friends in J Street and were impressed by her use of the popular wardrobe staple – leggings. Both comfortable and versatile, leggings have become the fashion trend of the year. While most girls on campus have been spotted pairing their leggings with oversized tops and scarves, Gaukhar wore hers with a beautiful charcoal grey dress and black boots. Her vibrant accessories kept her outfit from looking too monochrome on a bleak, rainy day. Her leopard print scarf complemented the darker shades of the dress and leggings, and her pretty earrings added yet another splash of color and texture. Gaukhar’s outfit was simple yet stylish, perfect for a day in D.C.

Alix Bleetstein. Allie Schiffer | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Alix Bleetstein
Hometown: Red Bank, N.J.
Year: Freshman
Major: Undecided
Outfit: Leggings, sweater, Pac Sun; scarf, Urban Outfitters; rain boots, Hunter

Alix’s outfit is proof that basic pieces can easily form a standout look with the aid of a statement piece. Her funky sweater caught our eye almost immediately: Its light purple hue was a shock of color, and the print of two bunnies was simply adorable. Alix kept the combination of bold print and playful color from being overpowering by pairing the oversized sweater with dark leggings and a knit scarf.  Her Hunter rain boots were both functional and fun, tying the look together and keeping her protected from the drizzle. Alix put her own take on the leggings trend by using them to work with her fabulous sweater.

Megan Krishnamurthy. Allie Schiffer | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Megan Krishnamurthy
Hometown: Hightstown, N.J.
Year: Sophomore
Major: Business administration
Outfit: top, American Rag; boots, UrbanOG; leggings, H&M

We found Megan in G-Dub Java, and quickly noticed her stylish take on the classic color combination of white and black.  Though the colors of her shirt, leggings and boots were basic, Megan’s outfit was anything but. We loved the flattering, feminine shape of her top, as well as the tasteful mixture of lace and woven material that keep the outfit interesting. Her black leggings provided contrast but allowed her fabulous shirt to stand out. Megan’s ensemble was both comfortable and pretty, proving that it is possible to stay warm and look great as temperatures drop.