What We’re Watching

Hatchet reporter Jesslyn Angelia shares her latest movie experience.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2” (2012)
★★✰✰✰

I’ll start by saying that Twi-hards will not be disappointed. When watching what we hope is the last of the “Twilight” franchise, one will get what anyone would expect from the teen romance saga: a shirtless Taylor Lautner, sappy clichés and sparkling vampires. If that isn’t what you’re looking forward to, then expect to be rolling your eyes throughout the movie.

The movie begins where audiences were left off in Breaking Dawn – Part One. Bella (Kristen Stewart) awakens from her slumber to find that she’s been turned into a newborn vampire and proceeds to experiment with her new supernatural skills. Bella sees her daughter, Renesmee (Mackenzie Foy) for the first time, and is surprised to see that she’s grown so quickly. She’s even more surprised when she finds out that Jacob (Taylor Lautner) had imprinted on her daughter. The plot thickens as Irina (Maggie Grace), a fellow vampire, mistakes Renesmee for an “immortal child” and reports the Cullens to the Volturi, the ruthless group of vampire ruling class who immediately plan on exterminating Renesmee because of the threat she poses on exposing the vampires to the humans. In attempt to protect their daughter from the evil clutches of the Volturi, the Cullens go on a search for vampire witnesses all around the world in order to convince them that Renesmee is not a threat.

The movie is predictable and transitions poorly between scenes. The acting is less than mediocre (smile for once, Kristen Stewart?) and the awful CGI — especially of baby Renesmee — gives the movie a low-budget look. However, I must admit that there are some unexpected twists to the movie.  A steamy romance scene only fifteen minutes in proves scintillating, and the film’s climactic battle scene is largely entertaining and unforeseen until … well, let’s not spoil it.

Bottom line for all non-“Twilight” fans?  It wouldn’t hurt too much to watch this latest installment in spite of the inevitable eye rolling. If nothing else, you’ll at least get a good kick out of seeing all the decapitation.

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Action
Director: Bill Condon
Cast: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Dakota Fanning
Release Date: Nov. 16