Men’s and women’s basketball notebook

Senior guard Bryan Bynes holds onto the ball before passing to junior forward Nemanja Mikic in the first half of GW’s win over BU. Hatchet File Photo by Elizabeth Traynor | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Updated 5:53 p.m.

Here’s a glimpse at the news from the men’s and women’s basketball teams over Thanksgiving break:

Men’s basketball

The men’s basketball team announced plans Friday to participate in the 2013 DIRECTV classic, to be played in Anaheim, Calif., Nov. 28th, 29th and Dec. 1st of next year.

The Colonials will join Arizona State, College of Charleston, Creighton, Marquette, Miami (Fla.) and San Diego State in the tournament, with an eighth team to be named at a later date. The classic will be in a bracket format, with 12 games being played over three days. Each team will compete once per day, moving through the bracket until the final two teams standing compete for the championship.

“We’re excited to be headed back to California to compete in next year’s DIRECTV Classic with a national ESPN audience,” head coach Mike Lonergan said in a release. “The tournament field is extremely competitive and should prove to be a solid three-game test for our team next year.”

Women’s basketball

Head coach Jonathan Tsipis has already started thinking about his 2014 recruiting class, with forward Jada Matthews reportedly verbally committing to attend GW.

The 6-foot-1 forward told recruiting board Fullcourt.com  that the “combination of GW’s acadmeics and staff were second to none”. ESPN HoopGurlz, however, still lists Matthews as undeclared.

Matthews currently competes for Winslow Township High School in Atco, N.J., where, according to Maxpreps.com, she averaged 14.9 points per game and 6.2 rebounds per game last season.

The women’s team also had scheduling news to announce, with athletic director Patrick Nero tweeting that the team would compete in the Bahamas over the 2013 Thanksgiving weekend – though the official tournament wasn’t announced.