Weekend wrap-up

Lauren Whyte, volleyball
Lauren Whyte | Hatchet File Photo

We couldn’t fit all of the Colonial sports news on the page today. Here’s a glimpse at what’s new in the world of GW athletics:

Women’s volleyball

Two Colonials picked up A-10 honors this week, with senior Lauren Whyte named to the A-10 all-academic team and second team, and senior Candace Silva-Martin joining her teammate on the A-10 academic team.

The second team award was the fourth postseason honor of Whyte’s career, after she was a first team selection as a junior, second team selection as a sophomore and an all-rookie nominee following her freshman campaign. Whyte finished her GW career with 1,625 career kills, ranking second all-time in the program.

The academic team nod was the second postseason award for Silva-Martin, who was named to the all-rookie team after her freshman year. Silva-Martin closed her time in the Buff and Blue this season as the league’s all-time career digs leader with 2,126. She’s just one of four players in conference history to surpass the 2,000 dig mark, and is the all-time leader in that category at GW.

Men’s water polo

Men’s water polo freshman Bogdan Petkovic was named the CWPA Southern Division Rookie of the Year, the first GW player to earn that honor.

Petkovic, who also earned a slot on the All-South team, set a single-season program record 96 steals and ranked third on the team with 45 goals, 24 assists and 69 points. He posted a team-high 18 field blocks on the season, the third-highest single-season total in program history, and was named the  Southern Division Rookie of the Week twice in the 2012 season.

Men’s and women’s swimming

The swim teams took to the pool for the Patriot Invitational this weekend, with the men’s team finishing sixth of eight, and the women’s squad wrapping competition in third place of nine teams.

Sophomore Garrett Cottingham was a standout for the men’s squad, nabbing a third-place finish in 200-yard breaststroke in 2:07.4. Freshman Oliver Keegan took third in the 200-yard butterfly, in 1:51.90. Sophomore Sean Rhinehart took fifth in the 200-yard butterfly and senior Phillip Graeter was fifth in the 200-yard backstroke.

The women’s team’s finish came after a push on the last day of competition that lifted it a slot into third. In the 1,650-yard freestyle, junior Caroline Myers took second while freshman Riley  LeBlanc took fifth and freshman Madison Reinker finished in seventh.In the 400-yard freestyle relay of juniors Sydney and Sloan Saunders and Melissa Fernandez and freshman Kally Vanderbilt touched the wall in second place on a come-from-behind finish that saw GW finish the heat in 3:29.49.

Cross Country

The men’s and women’s cross country teams were also in action this weekend, with the men finishing 10th of 16 at the IC4A Championships and the women finished eighth of 19 at the ECAC championships.

Freshman Ryan Tucker paced the men’s squad, finishing 26th of 151 runners after he ran the five-mile course in 26:58. Sophomore John-Louis Pane was next, in 30th.

For the women, senior Heather Stevens was first, running the 5,000-meter course in 18:43, to wrap competition in eighth place of 177 runners. Next was senior Juliana Stern, who finished in 21st and senior Julia Weir in 26th.