Players to watch

Dwayne Smith

Dwayne Smith

• Year: Senior
  • Position: Forward
  • Height: 6-foot-6
  • Hometown: Toronto, Canada

Smith missed the first few weeks of last season as he recovered from post-concussion syndrome, which kept him from fully integrating into the team’s pace under new head coach Mike Lonergan. But if he can find his offensive stride this year and continue to be strong on the boards, Smith will be instrumental to GW’s offensive success.

Dani Jackson

Danni Jackson

• Year: Senior
  • Position: Guard
  • Height: 5-foot-3
  • Hometown: Dumfries, Va.

Jackson was one of two Colonials to earn a nod on the A-10 preseason third team, and she tied to lead GW in scoring last season, with an average of 12 points per game. She
also paced the team in assists, averaging three per game.

Joe McDonald

Joe McDonald

• Year: Freshman
  • Position: Guard
  • Height: 6-foot-1
  • Hometown: Lorton, Va.

McDonald, who was selected to the Parade All-America list over the summer, is a standout local guard who made The Washington Post’s All-Met first team last year. Look for him to take over the slot at point guard left open after Tony Taylor’s graduation.

Tara Booker

Tara Booker

• Year: Graduate student
  • Position: Forward
  • Height: 6-foot-1
  • Hometown: Galloway, N.J.

Booker was the second Colonial named to the A-10 preseason third team, and the second part of the tie leading GW in scoring last year. She returns for her fifth year with the team after a medical redshirt granted her extra eligibility, giving 2012’s leader in rebounding, blocks, field goal percentage, three-point field goals and three-point percentage another chance for an A-10 title.

Chakecia Miller

Chakecia Miller

• Year: Sophomore
  • Position: Guard
  • Height: 5-foot-7
  • Hometown: Marietta, Ga.

Miller recorded 81 steals last season, tied for the 12-highest single season total in program history, and ranked third overall in the A-10 on the season. She also ranked third on the team with 48 assists, and was a standout freshman for the Colonials, nabbing the program’s first A-10 rookie of the week nod since the 2009 season.

Isaiah Armwood

Isaiah Armwood

• Year: Senior
  • Position: Forward
  • Height: 6-foot-9
  • Hometown: Baltimore

Armwood was relegated to the sidelines last season, forced to sit out the year per NCAA regulations after transferring from Villanova. Head coach Mike Lonergan said Isaiah’s impressed during practice, and expects him to make an immediate impact in GW’s starting lineup.