Bites and Booze

Follow these simple recipes to add just the right amount of flavor to any celebration.

Fire and Ice

What’s more fun than doing a shot with friends? The answer is obvious: doing two shots with friends. Fire and Ice is a duo that begins with a spicy shot of Fireball Whiskey, Sriracha hot sauce and honey. For part two, I made an alcoholic chaser of mint liqueur and ice-cold whole milk to soothe and refresh the palate. Drink the two consecutively for a surprising flavor sensation, leading to some facial expressions that make for a lot of fun.

Fire:
Add a squirt of honey and Sriracha to the bottom of a shot glass, then fill with Fireball Whiskey. Stir well

Media Credit: Fire
Scott Figatner | Hatchet Photographer

to combine and serve.

Ice:
Chill crème de menthe and whole milk. Fill the shot glass with ¼ parts mint liqueur and ¾ parts whole milk and stir.

Embrace your Knack for the Snack

Few realize the importance of snacks at a party. People will drink more and stay longer if you give them a little something for those drunchies. These almost-from-scratch snacks are simple but go a few steps further than store-bought chips and salsa.

Hummus with Baked Thyme Pita Chips
It’s hard to find anyone these days who doesn’t like hummus. Store-bought hummus will do the trick, but nothing beats homemade pita chips.

Media Credit: Purple Potato Chips
Scott Figatner | Hatchet Photographer

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut pita into triangles and arrange on a sheet pan with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and thyme leaves. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve with hummus.

Mascarpone Fig Dip
Mascarpone cheese is delicious and underused. Silky and rich, it goes well with something sweet like the fig dip sold at Whole Foods.

Directions:
Simply mix mascarpone cheese with fig dip to taste. For dipping, bake the above pita chips, and sprinkle the finished product with cinnamon and sugar for a sweeter crisp.

Purple Potato Chips

Directions:
You can buy tiny and nutritious purple potatoes at Whole Foods. Preheat a few tablespoons of canola or vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Slice the potatoes as thinly as you can and fry in small batches until browned and crispy. Remove from oil, salt them and dry them on paper towels.