Profile on Style

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Rachel Smilan-Goldstein.

These trendsetters’ ensembles popped with bold, eye-catching patterns.

Karishma Mehta. Allie Schiffer | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Karishma Mehta
Year: Senior
Major: Psychology
Outfit: Jacket, Free People; scarf, Nordstrom; pants, Urban Outfitters; boots, Steve Madden

Karishma caught our eyes in Academic Center, where she stood out for her ensemble’s creative mix of patterns. By combining the subtle textures of her lace jacket and printed scarf, she added interest and depth to a customary college outfit. Karishma’s style takes inspiration from the seasons and the varying colors they bring. She highlights the mustard, light brown, cream and pale teal tones of autumn. Her use of layering is ideal for the mercurial weather of fall in the District, allowing her to stay comfortable through whatever the day might bring. By combining prints and layering her outfit, while keeping a fall color-palate in mind, Karishma looks exceptionally stylish on campus.

Abby Lieberman. Allie Schiffer | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Abby Lieberman
Year: Freshman
Major: Psychology and Biology
Outfit: Dress, bag, Faces Boutique; socks, CVS; boots, thrift store in Georgia; earrings, made by her sister; ring, Forever 21

On F Street, we found another excellent use of prints in Abby’s retro-inspired outfit. In response to the day’s warm weather, Abby opted for a sleeveless, owl-printed frock. Keeping her look appropriate for fall, she layered knee-high men’s socks under vintage boots that have held up remarkably well since she got them in sixth grade. Pairing tall socks with boots is a hallmark of her everyday style. Though her outfit comprised primarily neutral hues, Abby brought in hints of color with her eye-catching turquoise ring and bold blue earrings. Attracted to older fashions, she describes her style as retro and aims to look glamorous.

Cristina Gonzalez. Allie Schiffer | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Cristina Gonzalez
Year: Sophomore
Major: Business
Outfit: Sweater, Anthropologie; pants, Urban Outfitters; shoes, Zara; bag, Longchamp

We took notice of Cristina’s smart style on G Street. She expertly paired her boldly printed, colorful pants with basics. Her simple navy blue sweater, red bag and tan, studded loafers drew from colors in the print, but never overshadow the vibrant bottoms. In addition to dressing for the weather, Cristina aims to make occasional bold statements in her outfits while keeping the rest of her look simple. By planning her outfit around the focal point pant print, she created an eye-popping ensemble that wasn’t too busy for daytime. Like many GW students, Cristina tries to refrain from wearing sweatpants, instead finding the ideal balance between comfort and looking put together.