Two students win seats on local governing body

Junior Jackson Carnes talks to voters outside the School Without Walls polling station Nov. 6. Jordan Emont | Photo Editor

Juniors Patrick Kennedy and Jackson Carnes won seats on Foggy Bottom’s top governing body Tuesday, according to the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics.

Kennedy ousted 10-year incumbent David Lehrman, a 66-year-old longtime Foggy Bottom resident. Out of 136 votes cast for the district, 96 went to Kennedy and 38 to Lehrman. Carnes ran unopposed and earned 90 votes.

Two other students – freshman Jevin Hodge and sophomore Peter Sacco – ran as write-in candidates. Sacco’s sought-after district received 22 votes and Hodge’s received 168 votes, but the election board website did not break down how many each candidate won.

Out of the city’s 40 Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, each is divided into about eight to 10 single member districts with elected representatives. The positions are typically held by local residents.

Following the election, the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission will comprise two students and two alumni. If Sacco is elected, he would make a third student.

Hodge ran for a position on the Advisory Neighborhood Commission, representing the Mount Vernon Campus. The Somers Hall resident faced incumbent Penny Pagano, who also ran as a write-in candidate.

“It’s been very gratifying to have won, it’s been an amazing experience all throughout,” Kennedy said, adding that he received nods of support throughout the day from “mutiple professionals” at the voting center.

“It was really gratifying to get that message across the board,” Kennedy said.

Carnes said he is “very excited” for the next two years and that was glad to see voters turn out Tuesday.

Lehrman did not return a request for comment.