Why Obama is not the answer

MTV has a new show out about a group of recent college graduates called “Underemployed.” It would be a lot funnier if it wasn’t based on the harsh reality facing our generation and the consequences of the Obama administration.

The unemployment rate for 18-to-29-year-olds is 11.8 percent. I’m sure you have friends, just as I do, who are still getting paid the same $10-per-hour rate at their internship from senior year, even though they graduated six months ago, under the promise that “something is going to open up.”

Two thirds of our generation voted for President Barack Obama four years ago. But the president’s greatest policy achievement for our generation was that we can stay on our parents’ health insurance until the age of 26 – which is great, since his economic policies have contributed to a job market where we probably won’t be getting substantive jobs until we’re that old anyway.

As young people, we sometimes allow social issues to dictate our votes. We need to vote with our wallets and with the trajectory of our career paths in mind.

America is not lacking in talent or ideas for how to grow our economy, and Mitt Romney knows that. According to the Small Business Association, the regulatory burden on business exceeds $1.75 trillion annually. This is not a recovery, and Romney can reverse this unfortunate trend.

I’m voting for Romney – the job creator, the businessman and the statesman. The 2002 Winter Olympics were on the brink of disaster, and Romney’s leadership helped turn them around. Massachusetts saw great prosperity under Romney’s leadership.

As I watch MTV make a farce out of the state of the economy, I am reminded of how Obama’s policies failed us, and how Romney’s can turn us around.

Sinead Casey is the chairwoman of GW College Republicans