Jaggar DeMarco: You can’t make up your own facts

Did President Barack Obama say “acts of terror” the day after the attack on the U.S. Libyan embassy? According to Mitt Romney, it took the president two weeks before he used that term. But according to Obama and presidential debate moderator and journalist Candy Crowley, he said it the next day.

Not everyone can be right.

You would think pointing a camera in a politician’s direction at virtually all times would make them more accountable. But it hasn’t.

Facts can easily be looked up on the Internet, but candidates have gotten away with some pretty egregious lies.

Some things are true, and some are not. The public has been denied a clear view of the candidates’ policies because we cannot get to the issues that need debating.

So, allow me to clarify some facts that have been disputed. Yes, Obama said the words “acts of terror” the day after the attack. Yes, Romney wrote an op-ed in 2008 called “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt,” where he supported just that. And yes, in September, the unemployment rate fell under 8 percent for the first time in nearly four years.

Romney has repeatedly expressed his interest in taking away funding from Planned Parenthood and reversing Roe v. Wade. But in ads airing in battleground states, his campaign assures voters that he “doesn’t oppose abortion at all.” He actually supports abortion rights in cases of rape, incest or risk to a woman’s life.

Romney also campaigns on repealing “Obamacare.” But let’s not forget that his health care reform in Massachusetts was the framework for Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Voters can’t make an informed decision Nov. 6 if Romney offers two versions of reality on so many issues.

And here’s one more fact: The only way that we’re going to move forward as a country is if we hold our politicians accountable for what they say. If the American public elects Romney, who has led a very dishonest campaign, this phenomenon will be here to stay.