Ben Krimmel: Vote “yes” on marriage equality

Marylanders like myself can take pride in a lot of things other states can’t. We can be proud of our steamed blue crabs, Old Bay seasoning, Johnny Unitas and offbeat John Waters films.

But on Nov. 6, we have a chance to prove ourselves in another historic way: by passing the same-sex marriage referendum on our ballot.

A similar referendum was defeated the 32 times it appeared on other state ballots. But this time, it will be possible to achieve marriage equality as a result of a referendum.

And I am proud to be voting yes.

If we are going to say we live in a country in which all people have the same rights and freedoms, passing this measure is crucial. The referendum is not an attack on traditional values, but a chance to extend the fundamental right to marry to everyone.

The vote will be close, even though it shouldn’t be. Polling at the beginning of October showed a wide lead for supporters of same-sex marriage, but that lead has dwindled in the past few days.

America is built on the promise of equality, and Marylanders have the responsibility to fulfill that promise for gay and lesbian couples. We have the chance to set an example for the rest of the country.

Maryland can be proud of a number of things, but this election season, we have another opportunity to add to this list.