Tony Taylor taken by Thunder affiliate in NBA D-League draft

Tony Taylor, CBE
Then-junior guard Tony Taylor takes aim. Hatchet File Photo.

Former men’s basketball standout guard Tony Taylor was drafted by the Tulsa 66ers in the second round of the NBA D-League draft tonight.

Taylor was the 32nd overall pick, heading to the D-League affiliate of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, who advanced to the league’s championship round last season before falling to the Miami Heat.

Last season, Taylor paced GW in scoring, with 13.1 points per game, assists, with 4.3 per game, field goals made, with 136, and free throws made, with 102. He ranked second on the Colonials in steals, with 42, and three-pointers made, with 31. He ranks 19th all-time in program history with 1,345 points, fourth all-time with 486 assists, and ninth all-time with 130 steals.

Taylor recently competed in a new post-college league, the Basketball Alumni Legends League, or The-BALL. He was a key presence in GW’s backcourt during his tenure with the program, culminating in a selection to the A-10 preseason first team before his senior season. Despite a disappointing final season as a Colonial, when the team struggled to shift to head coach Mike Lonergan’s new style of play and exited in the first round of the A-10 tournament, Taylor netted his 1,000th point while in a GW uniform and was named the team’s MVP for the second straight season.

The scouting rumors aren’t Taylor’s first brush with the NBA. Following his junior season with the Colonials, Taylor briefly declared himself eligible for the NBA draft before withdrawing his name.