What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Priyanka Pardasani shares her latest musical obsessions.

Dave Matthews. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons License.

Snow Outside
Dave Matthews Band

Fan favorite Dave Matthews Band released their eighth studio album earlier this year on September 11.  I think most would agree that DMB music reminds them of summer days, but on this track you can finally picture yourself listening with a winter backdrop. Dave paints images of building fires for his lover and brings warmth into the room immediately with this romantic track. This band never disappoints with their meaningful lyrics and catchy, moving melodies.  The entire “Away From the World” album is a delight and is sure to remind many fans why they continue to listen to Dave Matthews Band and why they might never stop.

Skippin’ ‘n’ Trippin’
Blackmill

Blackmill is an up-and-coming dubstep artist who brings melody and softer sounds to a genre known for its intense drum and bass lines. This track is absolutely mesmerizing, blending reggae and a variety of electronic sounds. Blackmill includes a melodious piano riff and horn line in this tune, presenting a variety of appealing and eclectic sounds to the genre. “Skippin’ ‘n’ Trippin’” is a departure from most of Blackmill’s laid-back, relaxed songs, with an upbeat tempo sure to get people dancing.

Raise Your Head/Epic
Swedish House Mafia

Powerhouse DJ elites Swedish House Mafia released their final studio album as a group,“Until Now,” on Oct. 22, just after releasing dates for their highly anticipated last tour.  This incredible track combines the great lyrical effort with “Raise Your Head” over the backdrop of “Epic,” which may arguably be the best modern EDM record to date. “Epic” is a track that is frequently mixed in live sets and makes people absolutely lose their minds once it’s dropped. These EDM stars clearly knew how to incorporate an amazing lyrical piece onto this track, making it an ultimate classic. Long live Swedish House Mafia.