Last-minute Hurricane preparations mean a stockpile of water, food, flashlights and, of course, alcohol. But hard liquor isn’t sold on Sundays, so your supplies may run low if Monday’s rains keep you in.
Be resourceful and mix up a drink using ingredients hidden in your cabinets. Light rum and coke are a natural pair and form the basis of the Swirling Sandy. Add flair to the subtle flavors of an IPA with some chocolate and cinnamon, and balance out the hoppy bitterness with some honey.
- ¼ bottle of good-quality IPA
- 2 pinches of chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- Fresh-ground pink peppercorns
- 1 shot of light rum
- Coca Cola
- 1. In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, boil the beer until it stops frothing and reduces by half.
- 2. Add the chocolate chips and whisk until incorporated. Add the honey, cinnamon and pepper and continue to cook until all ingredients are incorporated.
- 3. Spoon two tablespoons of the beer syrup into the bottom of a small glass.
- 4. Add a shot of cold rum and an extra splash of IPA. Fill the glass with Coca Cola and stir vigorously, creating a hurricane-esque cyclone.