Storm Watch: University adds generators to maintain power on Vern

Buildings on the Mount Vernon Campus are prone to power outages during major storms because the campus’s power lines are above ground, unlike on the Foggy Bottom Campus.

The University brought extra generators to the Mount Vernon Campus this weekend to make sure it does not lose power when Hurricane Sandy hits the District early next week.

As the storm moves closer to touching ground, Senior Associate Vice President for Safety and Security Darrell Darnell said GW is taking extra precautions for the Vern, which loses power during most major storms.

“Because of the city’s power grid, we seem to always have a problem with the Mount Vernon campus. It’s better to be safe than sorry, so we brought in extra generators for that campus,” Darnell said Saturday night.

Darnell added that “critical facilities” on the Foggy Bottom Campus already had backup generators.

The University will confer with the National Weather Center, Federal Emergency Management Agency and other D.C. agencies Sunday before announcing any campus closures.

GW will also announce any changes to the Vern Express shuttle service on Sunday through an Infomail and social media.

“I feel pretty confident we will be able to get word out about what plans will be,” Darnell said.