Storm watch: Dining halls to remain open throughout storm

Hatchet File Photo.

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Brianna Gurciullo.

Campus dining halls will keep their normal operating hours in the face of Hurricane Sandy, the University’s head dining official said Sunday.

Campus dining halls have stocked up on food and will maintain regular staffing to keep J Street and Mount Vernon Campus venues open during Hurricane Sandy, said Director of Campus Support Services Nancy Haaga.

She said the dining team was preparing its facilities “to feed students, faculty and staff members throughout the storm,” Haaga said in an email.

“If for any reason adjustments need to be made that will affect normal campus dining operations, students, faculty and staff will be informed through the university’s campus advisories notification system, the campus dining website and posted signs within the various campus dining venues,” Haaga wrote.

The Metro Diner serves lunch and dinner Sundays from noon to midnight. Other J Street options will remain open between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. on Monday.

Pelham Commons in the basement of West Hall on the Mount Vernon campus offers meals Sunday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Monday from 11 a.m. to midnight.

The University has consulted with city and federal agencies, including the National Weather Center and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, to prepare for the hurricane. A campus advisory warned students Friday to stock up on snacks, water, and emergency supplies.