Bakery to bring taste of France to campus

A new cafe will bring a Parisian twist to The Shops at 2000 Penn next month.

The old-fashioned French eatery PAUL Bakery will move into Foggy Bottom Nov. 15, the company’s president and CEO Philippe Sanchez said last week.

The cafe, known for its pastries, crepes and sandwiches, will seat nearly 80 customers, becoming the largest of its District locations.

The restaurant will open up at the corner of 20th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, across from Founding Farmers. Sanchez said the bakery is in talks with the city to open an outdoor seating area by the spring.

Sanchez said the eatery would accept GWorld shortly after opening. University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said GW is “working toward” making the bakery a GWorld partner.

First launched more than a century ago in Croix, France, about 140 miles north of Paris, the restaurant operates in more than 20 countries. It recreates the atmosphere of its Northern France location, displaying antiques and artwork.

“It will be a warm and welcoming environment where you feel like you’re transported to another country,” Sanchez said.

The PAUL company opened its flagship U.S. location in the District last spring and plans to put “a lot of money” into the Foggy Bottom location, Sanchez said, but he could not provide specific numbers.

The bakery can also be found in Penn Quarter, Georgetown and Farragut Square.

The bakery joins seven other eateries in 2000 Penn. Margaret Fisher, associate manager of the Au Bon Pain there, said she does not expect PAUL Bakery’s arrival to impact her business.

“It’s going to hurt at first, but kids are familiar with our specials, so they’ll come back in here,” she said.