Colonials Weekend Guide: Give your parents the GW treatment

Colonials Weekend is a time to take your parents – well, have them take you – out for meals you wouldn’t otherwise splurge on. But while they’re on campus, give them the GW treatment for a glimpse of what your life looks like when they’re not in town.

If your family arrives before noon on Friday, head over to Farragut Friday, a weekly gathering of food trucks around Farragut Square Park. Have your

Media Credit: Shannon Brown | Hatchet Staff Photographer
The iconic Froggy Bottom Pub has been a classic for years. With specials all week and extended happy hours – 4 p.m. to close Mondays through Fridays, and 9 p.m. to close on Saturdays – Froggy knows how to attract a crowd.

parents sample H Street staples like Tasty Kabob and CapMac, among other options.

Have room for dessert? Head over to Cone E. Island, GW’s favorite ice cream spot, for a “Skinny Minnie” soft serve.

Skip the hotel breakfast and wake up with coffee and a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich or bagel from the GW Deli on Saturday morning. Stroll through Kogan Plaza and enjoy your brunch there, or take your foil-wrapped meal to the National Mall or the Georgetown waterfront for a picnic brunch with your family.

Media Credit: Alex Maher | Hatchet Photographer
Open until midnight daily, Cone E. Island knows how to cater to students. Take your parents upstairs to “Club Cone E.” for a seat on the plush – albeit musty – couches, and enjoy some Top 40 selections with your dessert.

Don’t restrict your parents’ tour to the confines of campus and take them beyond The Avenue on I Street – although they might be interested in checking out Whole Foods Market to see where you spend all their money. A walk through Georgetown could mean a cupcake tour of Georgetown Cupcakes, Sprinkles, or Baked & Wired.

That evening, take a break between Acappellapalooza, the charity a cappella showcase in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom, and Train’s performance at the Smith Center to enjoy a pitcher of beer and a pizza at Froggy Bottom Pub.